Avengers: Infinity War | Review



It is very hard to write a review about a movie without spoiling it completely (no matter what movie it is) but it is even harder when that movie has been 10 years in the making.

Avengers: Infinity War promised to be an event. It promised the very best of the Marvel universe coming together under one singular threat in a way the fans never imagined and boy, did I not see any of it coming. If you are a comic fan and followed the comic books then yes, you probably had more of an insight then the regular movie viewer like myself. I don't claim to be a dedicated comic book fan nor a super fan of the Marvel universe who knows every intricate detail but I do love the movies and characters and I have spent the last 10 years being fully invested. (I have my favourites but who doesn't!!)

Two of my housemates and myself saw it on the day it came out (April 26th) at an 8:30pm in a sold out screening which I feel is worth mentioning as this made a huge difference to the experience. I loved scanning the seats to find every one filled. I listened eagerly to theories other fans had about who would die and what would happen, hoping to hear someone with a similar theory to mine. It was great seeing friends settling in for the next two and a half hours, laying the snacks out, pre opening packets and drinks as to not disturb anyone later on.

When the Marvel title screen began rolling I saw heads visibly snap round to check that they hadn't gone suddenly deaf; the title screen happened in complete silence. This honestly should have been the first warning that this movie was not going to hold our hand and all cards were off the table.

There were moments throughout this movie that kept reaffirming that it had a take-no-prisoners kind of attitude, as in the first 10 minutes alone the tone is set very firmly that absolutely no one is safe. The sucker punches to the gut kept coming fairly consistently throughout the movie which kept me on my toes and the time just flew by. I found myself on more than one occasion leaning forward in my seat, forgetting where I was and getting completely sucked in.

It definitely wasn't all doom and gloom though! Throughout the movie (with different character combinations) there were plenty of laughs to be had. Most of the cinema erupted in laughter several times from a great one liner, good easy banter back and forth or a well timed cocked eyebrow, it was a relief to have the light in there with the dark.

Without ruining the movie for others, there were times were it felt like there was literal electricity crackling around me in the cinema screen. It is no spoiler that people die in this movie, everyone knows it from your grandma to the local bookie, however there was a very specific moment where someone was in danger and the cinema went so eerily quiet you could have heard a pin drop. Seriously. Everyone seemed to hold their breath like that would change the fate of the character.

I will admit, I began to cry openly at one point. The tears just started to flow freely and I failed to smother my little whimpering sounds although I was trying to hold it in. I should have taken a box of tissues with me because I really, really needed one when the credits started to roll. Just remember, absolutely no one is safe. No one.

As the credits rolled and every single person in that screening waited for the credit scene, I chugged the remaining wine we had brought with us (we were going to drink every time someone died but quickly gave up on that idea once the first death happened) and tried to process what had just happened.

Avengers: Infinity War not only lived up to expectations but it surpassed them and proved in the best way that superhero movies can still surprise you. As I write this review, not even 24 hours have passed since I left the cinema and I have not been able to think about anything else all day. When we got home we all sat in the kitchen and had a debrief about what we had just seen. I am sure I am missing things out already and there is so much I wish I could say but I was lucky nothing got spoiled for me and besides... #ThanosDemandsYourSilence.

I already cant wait to go back and watch this movie again. And again. And again.

No comments